- Use the best lock possible to protect your valuables
- Purchase insurance on your property. Remember that the storage operator does not insure your goods
- Remember 30 days written notice is required when you plan to vacate your unit. This is required by the contract you sign!
Storage and Packing Tips
- Fill Boxes to capacity. Partially full or bulging boxes may collapse or tip while stored.
- Label your cartons and goods. This will make accessing items much easier.
- Books and documents: Pack books flat to protect spines; use small boxes to avoid cartons that are too heavy to move easily. Put heavy items on the bottom.
- Dishes and glassware: Glass items should be individually wrapped; use blank wrapping paper for best results; "nest" cups and bowls, stand plates and platters; fill air packets with wrapping paper or foam peanuts; don't put breakables under other boxes.
- Mirrors, windows, screens: Wrap all glass well; store on edge, not flat.
- Lamps: Pack lamp shades separately; use blank paper to wrap lamp shades and other property that may be damaged by ink stains from regular newsprint.
- Furniture: Stand sofas and mattresses on end; disassemble beds and tables; wrap legs in wrapping paper; keep upholstery off the floor, preferably on wooden pallets; place loose, light plastic dust covers or sheets over furniture.
- Appliances and electronics: Clean appliances thoroughly. Refrigerators and freezers must be defrosted and dry and washing machines completely drained. Remove doors of appliances and store separately; desiccants (drying agents) should be used and containers checked and emptied regularly. Take apart lawn mowers, making sure all the fuel is completely drained.
- Bicycles: Wipe a few drops of oil on bicycles and tools to prevent rusting, then store these items away from furniture to avoid oil staining.
- Clothes: Wardrobe boxes allow you to store your clothing on hangers. Shoes can be stored in the bottom of the wardrobe boxes, while folded clothing can be stored in boxes or dresser drawers.
- Put pallets on a grid of 2' x 3's on the unit floor to give better air circulation under goods; leave a walkway/aisle to the rear of the unit. Don't overpack the unit! When packing cardboard boxes directly on the floor, place them as far back as possible.